Anyone for a Combined effort?

When Slashdot published a news about 60,000 Linux Cds. distibuted all
throughout India ,it had a comment saying -- "So we will have more
developers"

However I feel that the Open Software spirit hasn't started off
here.People work alone or in isolated groups.Their efforts are never
really pushed to to such an extent so as to take their work to the final
stages of packaging the product and licensing it under GPL(or anything
for that matter).I haven't seen a single "Indian" software in places
like Freshmeat.How may software in the Indian software section in
PCQuest(for example) have been for Linux?Maybe too many of them get
stuck in the middle.I think it's time we organise ourselves into one
huge group to co-ordinate the efforts of people to produce Linux
apps.,docs.,etc.

        Even something small like a VSNL dialscript was roaming
around,going from one mailbox to another for  a very long time.

    We should have something like  Linux Developers Guild where people
share their work with others.More importantly encourage people to take a
look at the code written by others.(How many people took a look at the
Video CD Ripper.(I didn't)).We can start off with what people have
started in their schools\college\free time to produce something more
professional as per the Linux standards.Deadlines also become important
and without them nothing really come out.I think this is the one big
factor.Only in an organisation this is possible.

    We(??) have already done something very big in the form of this
mailing list and have really succeeded
in acheiving the goals of helping people to get over their difficulties
with Linux.It's time we did something more productive and
challenging.Something we can show others and feel proud of.We can learn
how to work in a "virtual" group thro' our experiences.Somebody here
will sure have prior experiences in working
in such a group.I hope they will help in organising.

    Having said so much I wonder why I didn't raise these in an ILUG-C
meeting.Maybe it's because I didn't have the guts to address a group in
person.Anyway we have a start here.

    I hope you don't see me as an over-enthusiastic guy jumping around
for some attention nor this mail
as  an issue that comes in a mailing list and passes away.It's time for
some action.