Re: Hi all

sudheer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx forced the electrons to say:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Binand Raj S. wrote:
> >
> > No. This will work fine. There might even be a legitimate use for
> > this falility (root using something like
> > setuidshell -c grep someone /etc/sudoers
> > while in a non root login).
> >
>    could you please elaborate on this .
>
> i'm using SuSE5.1. i find, just  by copying the shell with root
> privilegs doesn't allow the user to become the root(ofcourse ,a simple
> C program could do all the trick) .When i invoke this copied shell
> from a normal user's a/c ,the shell runs, but with power of that
> user and not the root.
>
> sudheer

I am using RH 5.2, and here is what I did (this is the output of the
script program, and it reflects exactly what I did on the command prompt
except for that I have removed all th ^M's)

This was what I meant when I said that there might be a legitimate use
for this.

Binand

Script started on Mon Jun 21 14:47:55 1999
[binand@condor binand]$ cd bin
[binand@condor bin]$ cp `which bash` .
[binand@condor bin]$ sudo chown root.root ./bash
Password:
[binand@condor bin]$ sudo chmod 4755 ./bash
[binand@condor bin]$ ls -l /etc/securetty
- -rw-------   1 root     root           40 Sep  5  1995 /etc/securetty
[binand@condor bin]$ ls -l ./bash
- -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root       353944 Jun 21 14:48 ./bash
[binand@condor bin]$ grep tty1 /etc/securetty
grep: /etc/securetty: Permission denied
[binand@condor bin]$ ./bash -c "grep tty1 /etc/securetty"
tty1