physical security...

> Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:34:13 +0530
> From: "Muthu" <muthu811@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Hi all,
>
> 		My question is, if one can change the "root" password easily like this(
> i.e., by booting using LILO: linux init=/bin/sh and mounting the filesystem
> in read write mode and changing the /etc/passwd file), how can we stop a
> stranger, who, using the above method logs into a linux system and changes
> the root password?. Eagerly waiting for your reply.

If a stranger has physical access to your machine, there is nothing you can
do in the first place to prevent the stranger from doing things like
turning your machine off, pulling the plug or hitting the machine with a
sledge hammer.

Completely securing your machine is almost impossible unless you lock it up
in some access controlled server room.

Manoj Srivastava has written extensively (and humorously) on this topic in
the Debian mailing lists.

Thaths
- --
"If there were any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy
                 merchandise" -- Homer J. Simpson