Re: Running DOS Foxpro under Linux

    >> Hi Raju,
    >>
    >> You probably need to get DosEmu to boot off your primary MS-DOS
    >> drive instead of the built-in drive emulation file of DosEmu.

    Rajesh> Where can I can DosEmu ?

Uh?

    >>  I have the following lines in /etc/dosemu.conf (note: my DOS
    >> drive is /dev/hda2):
    >>
    >> #disk { image "/var/lib/dosemu/hdimage" } # use diskimage file.
    >> disk { partition "/dev/hda2" }

    Rajesh> I have added the line disk { partition "/dev/hda1" } to my
    Rajesh> dosemu.conf since hda1 is my primary partition where
    Rajesh> Windows98 and Foxpro for Dos resides.

    >>  I've commented out the primary disk (hdimage, which is
    >> basically a DOS disk image in Linux) and enabled the primary
    >> native DOS disk.
    >>
    >> If you have WinXX on your primary drive you will have to use F8
    >> or one of those keys to ensure that you don't try to boot into
    >> Winduhs by mistake.

    Rajesh> This is little confusing. You have said that I will have
    Rajesh> to press F8 to ensure that I do not boot in Windows. Are
    Rajesh> you suggesting that I should boot into MS-DOS prompt mode
    Rajesh> rather than GUI of windows. This is not my aim at all. I
    Rajesh> want to use my DOS packages after booting into Linux.

That's right.  Like I said, if you already have Win9X on your primary
MS-DOS partition, when you boot DosEmu off that partition it will
automatically try to load the primary OS, which would be Winduhs.  In
order to prevent that, you'll need to do those function key tricks in
order to get a bare MS-DOS prompt rather than Winduhs, which DosEmu
won't be able to handle anyway.

If you're getting confused, remember that DosEmu emulates a complete
virtual system, so whenever I'm talking about booting DOS or Winduhs
above, I'm referring to doing this booting *under* DosEmu.  Linux will
continue running anyway.

    Rajesh> Please clarify. Thanks in advance

Regards,

- -- Raju