Re: A problem

Hello

  I agree with what you say. With buffers & cache, I should get a good
performance. But that is not happening. Whenever I start a new program
with swap memory in use, I find increase in usage of swap memory.
Furthermore the performance does not suffer beyond a certain level even if
there is a heavy amount of swap memory(12 MB in my case) is used. The
performance hit is notable on Windows machine. This is a notable feature.

   But considering relatively small sizes of Linux program(Compared to
Windows one) & it's true 32 Bit architecture on Intel platform, I expect a
much better performance.
  As per the Linux Documentation installed, there has to be a tradeoff
between size of cache & amount of available memory. I would like to
experiment with different size of caches to achieve better performance.
Unfortunately it seems that I can not control the size of cache. Can
anybody tell me, how to do that?

 Also I would like to know how can I see the brakeup of cache & buffers
so that I can figure out the exact reason for performance hit.

 Thanks

  Regards
   Shridhar