OT - voice telephony [was Re: [Audio ports... UDP ??]]

Nobody can stop anybody from using v telephony in an internal network. An=
yway
there is no harm in developing an infrastructure internally if you can be=
ar
the cost. I am sure this law will be changed in future as all carriers ar=
looking at voice over IP technologies.

Raj Mathur <raju@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> *Evil Laugh* Heh heh heh, I am forwarding this message to the
> powers-that-be at VSNL.  Expect a midnight knock at your door soon for =

> illegally using voice telephony!
> =

> -- Raju (VSNL stooge) Mathur
> =

> =

>     Niad> Hello, I have been trying to install a v telephony software
>     Niad> called paltalk. It works perfect from a machine connected to
>     Niad> the net (win95). Now I want to use it through a Linux
>     Niad> gateway, among other Lan users. I am able to communicate
>     Niad> with other win95 nodes on the lan via text messages, but not
>     Niad> audio. Paltalk support states that we may need to change the
>     Niad> audio port on udp above 2000. How do I do this? Is there
>     Niad> anything to be added to rc.local ... modprobe??
> =

As for the problem on Linux, you need to give more info regarding audio p=
ort
on UDP being above 2000. What does it mean by that ? Are you sure it is 2=
000
and not 1024 as you cannot assign ports below 1024 without being a superu=
ser.
Also what are the settings for it in /etc/services and make sure that the=

ports are not blocked in Linux.

HTH
- -swaps

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webm=