respawning too fast

Hi,

Sorry for sending mail in html format.

I have problem installing gnome on my machine. After installing all gnome
 rpms, when I try to start gdm, I get the following error message
"Unable to open shared libraries
libgnome.so.32: error in loading shared libraries
init: respawning too fast. Disabled for 5 minutes"

 One more thing. I get the last line of error message "respawning...etc"
 even when a modem which tries to connect to my machine fails to do so.
 What exactly is the reason for that error message

Thanks in advance

Sunil Sarat