Re: Adding user and security?

Prasad Mhatre wrote:

> What is the best way to add user in Linux with a seperate user home
> directory?

Use perl script adduser of debian.

> I installed Redhat 5.2 from PCQ and tried adding a user with..
>
> adduser xyz
>
> a directory is created automatically say /home/xyz
> but where are the homepages for this user?

You can hack adduser to write a standard home page to home directory.

> If the user opens a FTP session, what he gets is the comtent of /home/xyz
> and still he can see the contents of /etc and all other directories.

You have to configure ftp properly making /home/ftp as default
directory. Then user will not be able to go up from /home/ftp

> How can I restrict him to only his directory? Atleast he should not have
> access to the system files.
> I saw somewhere in the docs about security but was not able to capture the
> same properly.

Use pdksh shell with r option or rename pdksh to rsh and use this shell.
It is similar to what restricted shell vsnl uses.

> Any suggestion are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> Prasad

> Linux India is NOT a forum for Microsoft/India/Pakistan/US/UK bashing.
> Flame baits will not be tolerated.  If you can appreciate satire read
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/emily.html

- --
Best Wishes.
- -mukund