RE: crypt system call

> I am porting some c++ program from Solaris to Linux. One module uses the
> system call 'crypt'.
> When I try to compile the source, the linker(ld) is unable to link the
> 'crypt' code from the
> system library/libc(I am not sure).

<snip>

> There is no /etc/shadow file. /etc/passwd file is there, and all
> users and their encrypted passwords are listed there.
> So I guess Shadow-Password suite is not installed on my system.

These are two unrelated issues.

Your RH system isn't using shadow passwords because you didn't tell it to.
The manual very clearly tells you about this - just run the command
"pwconv". Check the manual for more info.

"cyrpt" is not shipped for the simple reason that the US government does not
permit the export of crypto software from the USA. This braindamage has been
around for years, and the surgeon general has basically called the case
terminal and recommends that the patient be shot at dawn, after being
suspended by his toenails overnight.

The way around it is to go to http://www.replay.com and pick up the required
stuff.

Atul