Re: Root login from remote system

Hi,
>>"VaibhaV" =3D=3D VaibhaV Sharma <helpindore@xxxxxxxx> writes:

 VaibhaV> when u log in as root u get the environment settings as of
 VaibhaV> the root and u get the home directory as that of root but
 VaibhaV> when u do su u get priviledges equivlent to root but your
 VaibhaV> home dir etc would be by deffault that of your username by
 VaibhaV> which u logged in and environment also would be the older
 VaibhaV> one.

        Try su - to get the default environment that a root login
 would normally get, So that is not really the difference. As others
 have pointed out, the difference is that one needs to be logged in as
 a user on the system to use su, but one knows nothing about who is
 attempting a direct login.

 VaibhaV> Its only that u can do ANYTHING on the system.

        This is true either way, is it not?

        manoj
SU(1)                                                       SU(1)

NAME
       su - Change user ID or become super-user

SYNOPSIS
       su [-] [username [args]]

DESCRIPTION
       su  is used to become another user during a login session.
       Invoked without a username, su defaults  to  becoming  the
       super  user.   The optional argument - may be used to pro=AD
       vide an environment similiar to what the user would expect
       had the user logged in directly.
- --=20
 As soon as we started programming, we found to our surprise that it
 wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had thought.  Debugging
 had to be discovered.  I can remember the exact instant when I
 realized that a large part of my life from then on was going to be
 spent in finding mistakes in my own programs. Maurice Wilkes,
 designer of EDSAC, on programming, 1949
Manoj Srivastava   <srivasta@xxxxxxxxxx>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esriva=
sta/>
Key C7261095 fingerprint =3D CB D9 F4 12 68 07 E4 05  CC 2D 27 12 1D F5 E=
8 6E