Re: which RPM for this lib.

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 12:05:01AM -0400, rohitbhargav@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My rh 6.0 system doesn"t seem to have libsocket.so.
> is there a way for me to find out which rpm contains this lib ... other
> than actaully running a rpm -qpl <package>.
>
> I tried a web search, but it says this lib is a part of the ibcs2..rpm
> which comes with the suse distro .. ???
>
> Ealier when i had installed rh 5.2, this lib was there, and i chose
> nearly the same stuff to install as i dd with rh 6.0 ....
>
> Any idea where libsocket.so could be .. ?

IIRC, libsocket.so is needed only for SVR4 Unices. BSD Unices have this
library included in their libc. IIRC, this concept is actually a test for
distinguishing SVR4 from BSD Unices. Linux, on the way to incoporating
the best points of both these versions, put libsocket in libc. So linux
machines don't need libsocket.so.

I have worked on a SunOS 5.6 machine which needed -lsocket to compile
programs using sockets, and a Digital Unix machine which did not need
this. I had reached the conclusion that Sun OS is SVR4 and DEC OSF/1
is BSD.

Any comments on this? Am I right? Can anyone tell me a few other tests to
distinguish between these two main flavours of Unix? I remember reading
a document on the web about this, but I cannot now recall the URL.

Sorry for flying off topic,

Binand