NIS problems

Hi,

I've got one NIS server running on Linux (version 1.3.3 with tcp wrapper). It
is configured as master server.

On one more linux machine I've tried configuring NIS slave. On this machine
ypbind (version 3.3) is running
When I try to issue the command ypwhich, I get the  error message
"can't yp-bind RPC failure on NIS operation"
Also when I try ypcat passwd, nothing gets displayed

Portmapper is running on both the the machines.
My yp.conf file on the slave machine looks like this

ypserer 192.168.12.12

Can any one kindly bail me out

Thanks in Advance

Sunil Sarat