Re: Reg Intel Processors

Didn't know about this...

Their new strategy is to change motherboard designs completely. Little
more than one year back I bought a P133 which was almost a standard at
that time. Today when I upgraded I also had to upgrade my motherboard to
a slot 1.

I also belive that they are going to drop the PII and lower the price of
PIII to that level.

Atul Chitnis wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Prakash Advani wrote:
>
> > There was no difference between the 486 SX and DX except that in the SX
> > the co-processor was disabled internally. It was just an Intel strategy
> > to have control over the low end market.
>
> Sounds like a pretty major difference to me ;-)
>
> Actually, the SX was introduced when Intel was unable to make people move
> from the 386 to the 486. This wasn't so much strategy as necessity -
> people who did not use an 80387 were not keen on paying for the built in
> coprocessor in the 486 since there was virtually nothing available in
> terms of software to make use of it. This was not Intel's fault - the
> guaranteed presence of a math coprocessor actually made life a whole lot
> simpler for developers, but until these applications started appearing,
> there was resistence to the concept.
>
> Intel *needed* to move people onto the 486 (for technical and also
> commercial reasons), and so they introduced a "low-end" 486 that was
> priced almost the same a 386 - making the choice easier.
>
> But they never did it again - the math coprocessor became a standard
> feature of every Intel chip. Too many applications that came along
> *required* this capability - a complete reversal of the situation when
> Intel introduced the 486sx. ;-)
>
> Today, Intel no longer has to resort to such things because the
> economics of scale actually allow them to price a PIII at the same level
> as a highend PII - making the choice for a new purchaser a foregone
> conclusion.
>
> Atul

> Linux India is NOT a forum for Microsoft/India/Pakistan/US/UK bashing.
> Flame baits will not be tolerated.  If you can appreciate satire read
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/emily.html

- --
Prakash Advani 			http://www.yoom.com/prakash
Email: prakash@xxxxxxxxxx	ICQ: 4872876
US Fax: +1 (781) 623-8454 	Pager:(9122)96223022222
http://www.freeos.com - Resource Center for Free Operating Systems