Re: Network Card & Latest Version.

> 	I have another query. I started my Linux career with Slackware 3.5 some 6
> months ago, within a few months Slack 3.6 came and now Slack 4.0 has been
> released. Now, I am interested in upgrading to Slack 3.6 or Slack 4.0 . My
> question is "Whether continuously upgrading to the then latest version of a
> Linux distribution is a good habit or not? i.e., "Do I need to stick to a
> particular version and learn it thoroughly and after a period of some time
> move to the latest version of that distro?". Eagerly waiting for your
> reply.

I'd advise you to wait until SW 4.1 comes out before "upgrading", since SW
is now the only Linux distribution I know of that still remains libc5
based. This is no comment on libc5 being worse than glibc (libc6) - its
just that you will find less and less libc5 stuff coming out, with more
and more stuff depending on features available in glibc.

Linux is Linux. The latest and the greatest distros may have features you
may not have in your current version. It depends on what you want to do
with the box. If you are just learning commands and basic Unix usage, you
needn't upgrade at all. However, if you want to try stuff available *only*
in newer versions (example - ipchains), you need to upgrade.

As for the actual upgrade - SW is hardly "upgradable" - as far as I can
see, it involves a complete reinstall. This is different from Debian,
Suse, Caldera and RedHat which are designed to be truely upgradable.

Atul