Re: Why two files?? (Re: Linux Startup file)

Hi,

> Now that this issue has been taken up, I always wanted to know why there
> are 2 files while one can do?

.cshrc and .login (under 'C' shell)
.bashrc and .bash_profile (under 'Bash' shell)

are two sets of files which are executed, according to the
specifications given in the respective man pages of these shells,
whenever the user logs in.

.login and .bash_profile are not normally used thereafter.

Whenever a new instance of the shell is invoked, the respective .--shrc
file (.cshrc or .bashrc) file is executed.

The experts may please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Sudhir.P
- --
When you hit rock bottom, there is no way, but, up.