Re: samba from windows

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Sunil Sarat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've configured samba for a specific workgroup. Using smbclient, I am able to
> access win shares from my linux box. But how do I proceed to access  my linux
> files  from a win9x machine. I can't see my linux box in win9x network
> neighbourhood. Can some one guide me please.

This is common problem, ref to list archives. And mean while check this.

1)The Workgroup should be  same.
2)Subnet mask on ur wnidose and linux host are same. In windose check from
networkneighbourhood-> peoperties-> TCPIP -> properties. And in Linux
control-panel->netcfg->interface->edit
3)Check for valid guest account exist in ur system.
4)Check if you have read permision to guest to dir <samba_dir>/var/lock/*

With these things setup correctly, ur linux should be visible in windows
NN.

Ok if still not you can still connect to linux from windose by using
find computes and look for linux.

- -Chetan S

> Thanks in advance
>
> Sunil Sarat

> email.

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
                -- George Bernard Shaw