Re: Unable to Dial From my modem

On Sat, 29 May 1999, L.V.Gandhi wrote:

> S Chetan Kumar wrote:
> I have the same modem in my office. recently purchased. Iam using it in
> both linux and windows. Exactly tell the problem. Imay of help.

Ok here is the exact problem description.

Modem 56Kbps, Dlink.

I fireup minicom, then type

ATDP161

Then I can hear dial tone from my modem speaker, (In the previous mail I
had mentioned I was not able, but now I am able, was to increase the
volume)

Then I just after few seconds the modem goes on hook, and on the minicom
screen I get

NO DIALTONE

So my modem is not able to recognise the dial tone. Well Mr Gandhi, can
you give the S register settings on ur modem. Like if you run minicom what
are the initilation you do.

And one more thing will the DIAL TONE frequenecy changes with exchanges, I
am B'lore in Malleshwarm xchange

 -Chetan S

> --
> L.V.Gandhi
> MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA
> http://www.poboxes.com/lvgandhi  lvgandhi@xxxxxxxxxxx,
> lvgandhi@xxxxxxxx,  31882656@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> email.

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
                -- George Bernard Shaw