Re: Linux in Compaq....

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Tusarkanti Nayak wrote:

> We had purchased a CXompaq WinNT server and now we want to use it as our
> NFS server with also domain server and samba service..but the main problem
> i feel(I am not sure) is that Compaq ppl says they are not giving any bios
> chip and they program it in the hard disk itself..so if I install linux in
> it should it give any problem if i do not delete that partition...
> Thanx in advance..

Compaq stores system information on a harddisk partition. You can
delete that partition but the problem is that if you want to install
something, you will again have to run SmartStart etc. We have two
Compaq servers running NT, QNX, Linux (not necessarily in that order)
and we have deleted those partitions (it gets real tough loading
multiple OSes on different partitions and giving one valuable primary
partition to Compaq to store its config) grr....

sachin