RE: Linux as a file and print server

> I am into preparing a document of a file and print server with
> Linux / Win NT
> I have a totally Linux/ UNIX background and am not equally
> familiar with windows and
> seeing a major bottle neck with WIN NT, There seems to be no
> concept of quota ie
> restricting the home directory sizes of the users created on the NT server
> NT gives all sorts of security facilities to access / restrict
> permissions
> to the directories and the resources like printing etc .. No restrictions
> to file sizes .. Can any of you confirm the same .. or am I
> missing something
> this is a major point when Linux wins , as we can restrict the
> user home dir's with  immplementing quota on the home dir.

I just checked with my partner Kishore Bhargava who knows NT better than
most people I know (rumour has it that Microsoft has a dartboard with his
picture on it). Here is his response:

Atul,

NT does not have the concept of quota. Its been a big problem for them for a
while and they do realise this. I am surprised though that new versions,
patches and service packs have not yet addressed this problem. There are
some third-party utilities available to implement quota's bt its definitely
not part of the OS. I have not seen the NT5 beta but it may have been done
there. You may want to check on that.

Cheers...Kishore

Atul