Re: Document Prep using Linux - Why not use HTML preprocessors?

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 02:00:49PM +0530, vinod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If you want very fine control over the layout, latex is way to go. I wish that
> the style and the content are truly separate. Many of the following packages
> seem to aim for it, though the focus is on HTML display. These days it is
> almost a requirement that you have one source from which you should be able
> to produce latex, html or any other specification. There are lot of standards
> in SGML which already enable this.

There is something called "Docbook" which is an industry standard SGML
DTD. I tried it last week and was pleased with the results.

The RPMS at: ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/home/rosalia/ work on a RH 5.2 box.
More info: http://www.gnome.org/devel/docs/doc-project.shtml

You can convert Docbook SGML docs to -> html, pdf, ps, latex

linuxdoc-sgml used to be capable of doing a subset of the above things and
has been obsoleted by Docbook, which has richer capabilities (screenshots,
code snipettes) etc.

The most notable adopters have been the Gnome project and the FreeBSD
documentation project.

Now the only tool missing is a GUI frontend for Docbook SGML ;). Framemaker
+ SGML does exactly what I want to do, but costs a ton of money.

If you are a lisp guru, you can hack the internals of SGML -> whatever
conversion at a very fine grained basis.

	-Arun