Re: gateway

Rajiv Dhinakaran wrote:

> This prob needs the foll to be done.
> 	1. Compile the Kernel with IP Forwarding and enable it in the scripts (use
> netcfg).
> 	2. Enable the forwarding rules using ipfwadm.
> 	3. Set the default gateway on the 192 side to the linux eth1 IP.
> 	4. Set the routing entries on the Router on the 202 side to use the linux
> eth0 IP for the 192 network.
>
> You can contact me for more info on this topic, as I have become more or
> less an expert after breaking my head for 3 months on it!! ;)

Uh, well...

I have a Linux PC with two NICs. One of them is connected to the internet
and the other to a private network. I can telnet from the private network
to this PC and from there connect to the internet.

Recently I compiled my kernel (I use Slackware 3.2 with kernel
version 2.0.29) with ip_forwarding enabled. Now, when I boot with the new
kernel the system comes up normally. But I cannot transparently get to
the internet from the private network. Also, the file
/proc/net/ipv4/ipforward does not exist.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

- - Manas Laha