Re: Connecting two computers.

"Dr. Shahrukh K. R. Pavri." wrote:

> I have two standalone machines, one at home one at work. Both are dual boot
> rhl 5.2 & win95. Both have a modem.
>
> I need to connect these two so that I can access the files of each on the
> other, preferably using linux. My clinic is a couple of km from my
> residence, so I think I'll have to use the telephone lines. Can I use ftp?
> do I use the anonftp package ? if yes, how ? there's no man page for
> anonftp though glint shows that it is present on the machine.

It all depends on the volume of data, and how much you can spend.
If you can afford lease line then Atul's idea is great.
If you are on tight budget, then,
1. Use tel line.
2. Run linux on one machine with dial in configuration (search howto),
also configure lynx for zmodem up / down load.
3. Dial linux machine from another machine. You can use any terminal
emulation with zmodem support like Hyper terminal in windows.
4. Login with user name and pass word, on shell prompt run lynx /
5. You can browse linux hard disk and down / up load files to.
6. Down load 'menu' script form vsnl server by 'sz /usr/rbin/menu' and
run this script (some hacking may be required) on linux machine and you
will have vsnl type shell interface ;-)
Enjoy!!

Best Wishes.
- -mukund