Re: Re: Viability of Linux companies

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:21:24AM +0530, Kingsly John wrote:
>  |What I would like to know is what you mean by "failed". BSDs are very much
>  |alive and used.
>
> He means it is not as popular as it should have been if it had really been
>  open source .

There are two fallacies in the above statement:

(a) Something is not popular doesn't imply that it's closed source.
(b) Something is open source doesn't imply that it automatically
    becomes popular.

Sometimes which class of people a product becomes popular has a
significant impact on viability. How popular is IBM's mainframe
OS (whatever its called) ?

The BSD license is OSI approved, BTW.

	-Arun