Re: A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Biju Chacko wrote:

 |Thats just my point. Whereas you and I can turn a profit on services, I
 |seriously doubt whether the Red Hats and SuSEs of this world can. They're
 |sinking large amounts of money to make sure that people like Alan Cox can
 |support a fulltime hobby. But where are the profits? Are profits possible?
 |Will commercial Linux distros survive? For all this and more, tune in next week
 |for the next episode of "The Bald and the Not-so-Beautiful". (Sorry, couldn't
 |resist that).

When you are talking commercial viability it's a matter of the survival of
the fittest. the days of global domination are gone... linux may
dominate.. *BSD may dominate.... but there'll never again be another M$FT.

When you look at service.. it can be in many ways... redhat has their
up2date service... plus they can run 1-900-redhat7 kinda services....
you need to remember that at no point of time will we ever see the scene
where every computer user downloads, untars the sources and compiles code
and uses the latest version of software.(people who do this will be around
1%) so the rest will go in for pret-a-porter software for which they won't
mind paying a small sum of money!

Windoze 9x support in the US costs around $25/hr in the US!!

so assuming there are 1 million users and they need support for 1 hour
twice a year to make their software current ... going by current rates the
support companies stands to make $50 million per million computers.

And 200 million users will make supporting them a billion dollar industry
but We will not have billion dollar companies here... but each city/area
will have small companies providing support and make handsome profits.

The source comes from the world over... so it's only natural that the
profits are distributed in an almost similiar ratio ... would be criminal
if only Redhat Inc and SuSE Gmbh made all the money !!

Kingsly

	        .:: Kingsly John                ICQ 14787510 ::.
            .:: Linux 2.4.3 #5 Sun Apr 8 17:10:55 IST 2001 i686 ::.
           `:. Posted to the list on Mon Apr 16 18:47:36 IST 2001 .:'