Re: W32.Winux virus on Linux machines

maybe so, now I use the freeware CVS which suffices (but is nowhere
as powerful as clearcase). clearcase was'nt there when I needed it
last year, when the rest of the project was using it on solaris and NT.

Sorry, ClearCase has already been released on Linux.  Check the Rational
site for details, or call any of their offices.

memprof is one I've used a lot - one of the few real 'tools' on linux :)
there's efence and debauch and a couple of other good ones.
they do the job most of the time but do act flaky at times.
if you know of any 'high-quality' ones on linux, lemme know.

There are also a lot of
memory checkers available, of high quality, right from malloc plug-ins to
stuff which emulates Purify (can't recall the name now, but will e-mail it
to you if I do). And having done ClearCase, how long before the rest of the
Rational suite follows?

wrong here, g++ compiler is one of the better ones and C++ on linux
is quite strong. some of the server software that you mentioned on linux is C++ based. would really appreciate good modelling software
on linux becoming available.

Incidentally, one reason for the lack of UML modelling software on Linux is
probably that C is a much more widely used language on Linux than C++.
While I haven't used C++ on Linux beyond toy programs, I have heard that the
gcc implementation of C++ is not very good.

 An IDE/debugger with the success of VC++ is absent on linux.  I
> probabaly would'nt use the latter anyway, if it were available, but it
makes
> a big difference to the large number of application programmers who could
> potentially be writing linux apps.

Well, they're coming.... I believe the Gnome guys have already released a VB
workalike.  How long now before one sees wizard-generator IDEs (yechh!)?

hmm, meanwhile ... yes I know there are a lot of hacks out there. having tried Wine, I think it'll never quite 'get there'. VMware rocks, but it's a waste of resources to run two OSs at once. while I'm quite comfortable with hacks, I wish quality desktop apps would start appearing on linux sooner rather than later.

having a virus hitting both windows and linux would surely be making
board rooms in several software companies sit up and take notice.
just think it's a good sign. YMMV.

best, - Ruchir

Wine is not a port. It is a compatibility layer which directly runs Windows
applications.  So there is no issue of production quality or otherwise - it
is the Win app itself that runs on Wine!  Granted, Wine is still prerelease
and so not a stable end user environment, but it's getting there. Meanwhile,
those who need to run Windows apps can use a commercial Windows emulator
like VMWare - while I have not used it myself, I believe it is quite good.
On StarOffice, no comments, since I have not really used it.

Regards,

Krishnan