Re: W32.Winux virus on Linux machines

----- Original Message -----
From: Ruchir Tewari <ruchir_tewari@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-india-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [LIG] W32.Winux virus on Linux machines

> >1. There are already enough commercial IDEs and development environments
> >for
> >Linux, offered by
> >mainstream companies like Metrowerks and Borland/ Inprise.
>
> I know what's available, having used linux as a development
> platform for over 2 years. Having tried what's available,
> I prefer to stick with gdb and vi/emacs as do most linux developers
> I know.

That is possibly because it is what you are used to, if you are a
traditional UNIX programmer.  I myself prefer to use vi on UNIX, and the VS
IDE on Windows.  But then, the primary reason for that is that the debugger
is built into the IDE, and I can't afford a copy of Softice.  A lot of
people use the IDE because of the wizards and stuff - which real UNIX
programmer would want to use a wizard?  Incidentally, when doing Win32, I
prefer programming using the SDK as opposed to MFC, unless it is a really
large program where the MFC overhead does not matter - and I have my own
boilerplates for the winmain et al. rather than use the Wizard.

 Tools like Purify/Quantify/Clearcase don't have a linux presence
> yet.

Sorry, ClearCase has already been released on Linux.  Check the Rational
site for details, or call any of their offices.  There are also a lot of
memory checkers available, of high quality, right from malloc plug-ins to
stuff which emulates Purify (can't recall the name now, but will e-mail it
to you if I do).  And having done ClearCase, how long before the rest of the
Rational suite follows?

Incidentally, one reason for the lack of UML modelling software on Linux is
probably that C is a much more widely used language on Linux than C++.
While I haven't used C++ on Linux beyond toy programs, I have heard that the
gcc implementation of C++ is not very good.

 An IDE/debugger with the success of VC++ is absent on linux.  I
> probabaly would'nt use the latter anyway, if it were available, but it
makes
> a big difference to the large number of application programmers who could
> potentially be writing linux apps.

Well, they're coming.... I believe the Gnome guys have already released a VB
workalike.  How long now before one sees wizard-generator IDEs (yechh!)?

> >What do you have to say to the fact that
> >all the major RDBMS
> >systems - Oracle, Sybase, et al, are available?
>
> I was primarily responsible for one of their ports
> to linux, for starters ;-)

Well, then, you ought to know better! :-)

> I was mainly referring to desktop software, vs. server software.
> >90% of desktop software is written and run on windows.
> Would you be calling StarOffice or Wine ports of windows applications
> production quality ?
> _

Wine is not a port.  It is a compatibility layer which directly runs Windows
applications.  So there is no issue of production quality or otherwise - it
is the Win app itself that runs on Wine!  Granted, Wine is still prerelease
and so not a stable end user environment, but it's getting there. Meanwhile,
those who need to run Windows apps can use a commercial Windows emulator
like VMWare - while I have not used it myself, I believe it is quite good.
On StarOffice, no comments, since I have not really used it.

Regards,

Krishnan