LINK: APL: Programming Power Tool for All

Date         : 13-Mar-2001
Presentation : APL: Programming Power Tool for All
Presenter    : Robert G. Brown

If you think you cannot program, but want to, please come to this
presentation!

APL stands for "A Programming Language" and has several properties that
set it off from conventional programming tools.  Originally developed as
a symbolic notation for building algorithms, APL supports the creation
of both general and compact code which, when properly employed, provides
performance comparable to that of C.  In a language free of
declarations, arrays are handled in a fashion that is clear and a
natural outgrowth of the thinking that went into the design and
development of the language.

The state of APL programming systems for Linux has changed a good deal
in the last year, reflecting the growth in the use of Linux and the
continued utility of APL.  In this presentation, we'll go over some of
the properties of APL, take a look at a few APL programs, and touch on a
number of areas where Linux and APL make an unbeatable technology
combination.

Robert Brown is a founding member and past chairman of KLUG, and has
over 25 years experience in software development in numerous
environments, disciplines, and industries.  An intermittent user of UNIX
systems for over 10 years, Bob has developed applications with Linux in
the course of his professional and volunteer activities.  He can also be
seen cycling the Kal-Haven trail, hiking the countryside in search of
nature photographs, or traveling to some fairly unusual places.

We meet weekly, each Tuesday at 7:00 PM. Our meeting site is Room 4202
of Dunbar Hall on the campus of Western Michigan University.

For more information about the Kalamazoo Linux Users Group please visit
our website:

    http://www.kalamazoolinux.org

For a complete list of upcoming meetings, go directly to:

    http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/meetings/schedule.php3

For detailed directions to the KLUG meeting site, visit:

    http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/meetings/maps.html

To find out how to obtain a copy of BS-Ware, visit

    http://klug.kalamazoolinux.org/bsware/Date         : 13-Mar-2001