Re: Lets do something worthwhile

Arun Sharma [Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 01:12:50PM -0800]:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 02:57:26PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> > Not a bad idea at all ... in fact, a brilliant idea.  One question, would this
> > also list apps in which Indians figure in the development _team_?  After all,
> > most GPL software is collaboratively written, incorporating patches
> > and modules written by dozens of people.

> I know you didn't mean it - but the above sentence seems to mix the
> licensing and the methods of collaboration inappropriately.

 Not exactly.  All I said was that, as GPL'd software is open source, several
 people contribute patches (take mutt, for example, with Volkov's nntp patch,
 Roland Rosenfeld's compressed folders patch etc etc).

 These patches find their way into the main source tree sooner or later.

 Also, there are quite a few pieces of GPL'd code which _were_ written by a
 team of people - which may / may not have included an Indian.

 That was all I was saying.  If I'm wrong (I'm not a licensing expert at all)
 please do let me know.

 thanks
 --suresh