Re: 4 queries

[please dont crosspost programming queries to LIG - it's only for linux
discussions, and possibly for flamewars <g>]

Rahul Jindal [Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 01:06:10AM +0530]:

> 3. i think that "port numbers" are merely numbers, do i think right?

They are numbers all right - but if you connect to that port, you should,
normally, find something listening there (if there's a daemon running which
listens at that port, at least).  port 25 = smtp, so you'll see sendmail or
whatever running.  port 110 = pop server, and so on.

> 4. how do we set path in linux; what is the analogous to this (this is in
> windoze) PATH=%PATH%;<new-path>. i don't want to overwrite the previous
> path.

the PATH variable can be set in /etc/profile or /etc/bashrc ...

> Answers to any of the above awaited

you writing an exam / assignment? :)

	--suresh