Re: QMail and DJB ... was Re: [LIH] any one using djbdns?

At 11:43 PM 2/1/2001 +0530, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> multiple connections to the server and send one copy of the message to
> each recipient, instead of opening a single connection and sending
> multiple RCPT TO:'s with a single copy of the message.  While that may
> be the ideal way of doing things, it doesn't work in bandwidth-starved
> countries like India, where 100KB virus attachments are the rule
> rather than the exception.  However, try to convince Dan of this :)

I might be stretching things a bit, but why do you expect him to
incorporate such a basic change for specific situations? Isn't that
how various packages have become bloated in the past? Look at the size
of the Qmail distrib and what it can do, as compared to the size of
sendmail and what extra things THAT could do !!!

This is not a trivial point. When you run a 500,000 user mailing list that takes all day to deliver instead of a couple of hours, you'll curse qmail as much as I do.

And this is not a basic change either. This is strongly tied into how the qmail queue works.

qmail is a very neat piece of software, but if you're running a large mailing list, stay away!

--

Kiran Jonnalagadda
www.pobox.com/~jace