Re: COMMENT: India's software piracy causes loss of Rs 900 crore annually

I think that this suggests :
1. Were piracy laws to be strictly enforced, prices of proprietory
software would come down.
2. More and more people would switch to free software if the software they

now use freely would not be so available.

I think in the home and  "small office home office (SOHO)" segment the
piracy rates rates would be very high as it is quite impossible fotr them
to purchase softwares like MS Office, Photoshop, Oracle, VB etc.  But
under linux we have very viable alternatives like startoffice, postgresql,

gimp, LaTeX, apache server etc.

At the same time we cannot do away with proprietory software altogether
because the dollars we are earning today ( India's software exports for
2000-01 will be around Rs 27000/- crores) come almost totally from the use

of proprietory software. Also though it comes at a high price the
propritory  software is *really good* in terms of perfornance and support.

The money factor is always important when i am developing something good,
i need to be adequately compensated for my efforts.

I think there is some misunderstnding that linux talks only geek's
language and is not really useful for the common man. I had this idea too
being a non techie but now i hardly switch over to the "other side" of my
computer disk.

Amit Sathe