Re: Help

san_r2001 wrote:

> how to install linux on 20 gb hard disk where  heads/cylnder are more than 1023.

If you are planning to use only linux you just need to make your root
and boot partition start within 1024 cylinders.This can be done with
fdisk.Boot from the Redhat cd and in the graphical installer screen
choose fdisk instead of the other partitioning options.You can also
mount the hardisk in another linux system and partition it
e.g. fdisk /dev/hdc.If you want windows to coexist on the drive make a
single windows partition (primary) with fdisk at the end of the drive.Do
not make any other partition.Install windows.Then once again use fdisk
to make linux partitions.Now install linux.If your root and boot start
within 1024 cylinders the stock version of lilo will be able to boot
your linux system but not winows which is at the end of the drive.After
your linux system is up download the latest version of lilo and install
it.If you need a sample lilo.conf I can mail it to you.With this new
lilo you will be able to boot from beyond the 1024 cylinder limit so you
can now add windows to your boot menu.
regards,
dayalan manohar