Re: Limits of grep?

hi
	i dont know what the problem is but it can be solved by a simpled
script. IMO, there is no limit for grep,except the physical memory or the
limits u have given thru pam. check out the psacct package commands, what
load do they give ?
 $for file in `ls *`
>do
>grep expresssion $file
>done

regards
cheedu

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Subba Rao wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a directory of 10000+ text files and would like to search for
> some strings in these files. When I tried using "grep" command with an
> asterisk, I get the error message somthing to the effect,
>
> 	"File argument list too long"
>
> What is the file argument limit for grep? I guess you need the grep source
> for this. I did not find any information in the man page.
>
> Are there any other recommended tools to search through such large list of
> files?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Domain name : cheedu.dyndns.org

Smile... Tomorrow will be worse