Re: Free software companies and stock options

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, dodobh@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Harveer S spewed into the ether:
> >So, why are people _not_ converting to Linux? This  has mainly to do
> >with the stigma (or whatever u call it) with the "free" software -
> >"Because it is free, it cannot be relied upon".
> Or maybe because they are sold on Microsoft's hype, and find NT easier to use/more
> suitable for their need(s) than Linux? And also because of the concept
> that learning Linux is tough?

	Just to add a small point (Although I have no idea what's going
out really in the corporate world, What I am talking about here are my
views.) :
	Another reason may be the personal preferences. Most of us out
here have been introduced to unix when we came here. We use windowsNT
boxes only for playing games and using softwares which only are available
on windoze.
	However there are a bunch of people who had experienced computers
before coming here, and they seem to be stuck with windows. We do have
arguments about which is better but none of us seems to buckle. Its not
that they find it tough to learn linux. Atleast they know the so called
basics of unix/linux. Its just their preference.
	I know a couple of engg. colleges where windows is the only OS
present. And after 4 years of doing everything on windows, its but natural
to try out NT or 2k when there is need for networking/Server, instead of
switching over to a completely new field of linux.

	Although I agree that almost everybody on this list has migrated
from windows, but IMHO they still do form a minority.

	And the same is with the general public. Most of the computer
asemblers do not know what is linux (at least in this part of India).
If u wish to install linux, its ur pain. all they give u a pirated
windows box. They ask where's the need for linux at all??

	Linux has a long way to go in India.

PS: I am a great linux fan  but conisder my inexperience while reading
above views :-)

--

#!!!	If anything can go wrong, _FIX_ it. (To hell with MURPHY)

						Ajay kumar Dwivedi
						 ajayd@xxxxxxxxxx