Configure Modem

Hi ;
   I would like to use Linux to surf internet using
modem. Unfortunately I don't how to configure modem
and PPP setting . Furthermore, the Linux couldn't
found the modem port . I'm very sure that my modem
(com 3) able to detect if I switch OS to microsoft
window .
   Can somebody help ?

    Btw, If I wants uses Linux connect to cisco router
through com port (console) , what tool should I used
in order linux able communicate to router ?