Re: Installing Linux on large HDD

At 10:07 PM 9/9/00 -0700, you wrote:
Hi
<...>
The partitions are:
2GB, 3GB, 3GB, 3GB and 4GB
I tried installing RHL 6.2 on this disk. For
partitioning I used the provided RH partioning
program.
I deleted the 4GB partition and then added a swap
partition of 128M then when I defined the other
partition as the linux native it gave a message that
the "Boot partition is too big" what is this and how
do I overcome this problem. Please help.
Thanx in advance.
Om Prakash Yadav

I think that this is the problem that is being faced by many users of large HDD's (anything over 8GB or so). This is coz of the 1024 cylinders limitation.

What u should try is to make a small (say 15 MB) Linux partition within the first 1024 cylinders. This would mean that it is in the first 8 GB of HDD. Then assign the mount point as "/boot".

Thereafter you can put the root partitions etc. anywhere. However I would suggest that instead of going in for a single big root partition of 4 G, you instead make 2G for root, and put the rest as the /usr, so in case you have to reinstall the system, your data would not be affected

And if you want to make space for the boot partition without disturbing your existing partitions, try using FIPS (on the RHL CD itself under /dosutils), or use a partition manager as Partition Magic (might be on your Norton Utilities CD, if you have (access to) one). Just resize any of the first two partitions to make some space available, and then create a /boot out of it. Read the documentation **CAREFULLY** b4 doing anything, as your valuable data is at risk...

Hope this helps.. (Plz correct me if I'm wrong somewhere)

--

Cheers !!!
Harveer Singh

(NXN - Not eXactly a Newbie)