Re: check partition

At 04:00 PM 9/7/00, Kelvin Ng wrote:
Hi ;
    Does anyone know how to check the partition that I
had partitioned ? FYI , I partitioned my hard disk
(6GB) into two . One partition reserve for microsoft
window (4GB) while another partition reserve for Linux
(1.5GB) .

What do you want to check in partitions? If you just want to make sure that they exist, then simply run "fdisk" at linux prompt (Yes Linux has its own fdisk), and then enter "p". It will print out the partition table. Then you can see whether your Win partition is in there. ("m" for help in fdisk). If it is the Primary Dos, then it must be /dev/hda1

The other "techie" way to check them is (assuming that you are comfortable with it). Do an "ls /dev/hda*" at the bash prompt. It will show you all the partitions that exist on your HDD. (hda means your HDD is pri master, change to hdb for pri slave, hdc for sec master). The cross check the partitions with the output of "mount". If you can find /dev/hda n other than those mentioned in mount output, then you can be quite sure that they are the Windows ones.

    When I tab aftet at lilo prompt, there was no
label for windows.

By default, it is "dos" you should be looking for instead of "windows".

     So , How do I check the partition . If the
partition for windows is still be there , how do
I configure the /etc/lilo.conf ?

Just put in these lines

other=/dev/hda1
label=<anything you like>

Add the default=<linux or windows-partition-label> to the top of the file if it is not there.

Just save the /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo -v -v

--

Cheers !!!
Harveer Singh

(NXN - Not eXactly a Newbie)