Re: The reason why we exist

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Atul Chitnis wrote:

->The other day I began writing an article about why LI exists. Then I saw
->this article, which sort of says most of it:
->
->http://www.zdnet.com/sp/stories/column/0,4712,2610730,00.html

At the govt level we may need to persuade many, and certainly the top most
decision making people.  It may be worthwhile to conduct an orientation
program (workshop) on open source solutions to Government Services.  Should
we not be interested in taking such an initiative?  The other alternative
will be to come out with an documentation on the topic and circulate among
the decision makers of various departments.  The fact that top most
educational institutes are already using open source for their networking as
well as heavy computing needs indicates its viability.  I feel that we can
take initiative to circulate documents on this isse.

Todays news that Gates has invited all CMs for dinner in his forthcoming
meet disturbed me.  Govt should consider the open source alternative before
taking crucial decisions.  Such a suggestion should be placed before the govt.
We can be the right forum to do that.

Nagarjuna
Nagarjuna G; Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, TIFR, Mumbai. INDIA