Re: Re: [LIH] Linux or GNU/Linux? a philosophical problem

Arun Sharma proclaimed:
> [1] GNU utilities often get criticized for these reasons
>         - Feature creep. cp -a is an example. find + tar + cp would be
>           functionally equivalent and in keeping with the UNIX philosophy.

Didn't the SYSV folks criticize BSD of feature creep?

<Deja Vu>
Didn't we also discuss this in the past?
</Deja Vu>

>         - Long command line options --foo etc. Some people think they are
>           a waste of time and effort and contribute to bloat. If someone
>           can't remember -f, it's likely that they won't remember --foo.

Believe it or not, I actually like the long getopts.  It is easier to
remeber (but harder to type).

>         - Lack of man pages. At one point, GNU had texinfo, but no man. Even
>           today, the average foobar-0.9.tar.gz doesn't come with foobar.1.
>           Compare that to the BSD world.

The documentation in info format is a pain in the ass.  I agree with this
one.

Thaths
--
     "Now, let's all turn around and pay attention to me again."
                    -- Homer J. Simpson