Re:Re: [LIH] Linux or GNU/Linux? a philosophical problem

Arun Sharma wrote:

> 3. You should use GNU/Linux, if you agree with GNU project's statements.
>    Some people do, and they use it. Some people don't (me included) and
>    don't use it. Again refer to the archives for the arguments from
>    both sides.

I agree with parts of the GNU project's statements.

I also agree with Stallman is that a major part of the Linux "Operating
System", i.e. what I would perceive to be a part of the OS, i.e the
shell, command utilities, development tools etc. are largely due to the
FSF and the GNU project and hence it is only fair to give them credit.
But, at the same time, there is lots of BSD and other stuff on a typical
box which runs the Linux kernel. Hence, it is painful to credit all
those concerned without hurting anyone's feelings.

I suggest we call the "Operating System perceived to be Linux" as "The
operating System formerly called Linux, but now called
GNU/FreeBSD/MIT/RH/SuSE/Linux" or something like that.

Better search for an all-inclusive term now!

sachin