Re: Press Release on Aryabhatt Linux

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

->
->> 2. Linux trademark violation?: Linux is a registered trademark of
->>    Linus Torvalds who was the original developer of the Linux
->>    kernel. He has permitted use of this trademark subject to an
->>    explicit mention of his ownership. Neither their web site nor
->>    the product packaging mentions this fact.
->
->Have you communicated with them on this ? Did they just ignore your
->request ?

There was no response to our email sent to him.  We know that they recieved
the email, because he (Vishal Gupta) called me, and asked me to meet
privately. I declined to do so.  We have invited him to come and talk in our
next meeting.

->> 4. Misrepresentation of License: Most of the programs distributed
->>    in Red Hat Linux are licensed as GPL (General Public
->>    License). This licensing policy permits anybody to go through
->>    the source code and modify as per their requirements. It also
->>    explicitly requires the GPL to be mentioned clearly. Arybhatt
->>    Linux does not seem to have been licensed under GPL since
->>    the GPL copy on the CD is issued by Red Hat and not by Linux
->>    Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
->
->I'm surprised. If they duplicated Redhat CD, it should have GPL on it.
->Are you saying that it isn't mentioned clearly in their product literature ?

GPL copy is present as issued by the RedHat.  They hardly changed anything
in the distro, so it remains.  But, as we understand it, since they have
changed the name, Linux Technologies should say how they are distributing,
and what is their licensing policy is. It is good thing here to compare with
Mandrake, who have also developed their distro out of rh distro. But they
have given credits.  Besides, their distro is available on many sites on the
internet for free downloads. This is not the case with the issue at hand.

->>
->> 5. GPL requires distribution of source code as well as free
->>    download of source code: Under GPL it is mandatory to
->>    distribute source code FREE OF COST either on CD's or on ftp
->>    sites. As on date Linux Technologies has not made any
->>    provisions for the same.  The company also does not have any
->>    ftp sites.
->
->s/Free of cost/Cost of distribution/

The cost of the distro is Rs.2100/- with only one CD, and a manual.
Sources are not provided.

->
->If they're not making binaries available on a ftp site, they don't need
->to put the sources either.

Then they should give the sources in the CD distribution, right?

->>
->> 8. The picture on product packaging box: The product packaging
->>    box as well as the step by step User Guide of Aryabhatt Linux
->>    depict a picture of peggy surrounded by networked
->>    computers. This picture was designed and copyrighted by
->>    Jassubhai Digital Media and was published in the August 1999
->>    issue of CHIP magazine, CHIP Linux special and Network
->>    Computing.
->>
->
->Good point. Is CHIP aware of this ?

Yes we informed.  Infact people working with CHIP/Jassubhai Digital media have
informed us about this.

->All in all, I think the criticism should focus more on:
->
->1. Little value for indian users
->2. Lack of innovation
->3. Questioning their competence
->4. Deceptive marketing tactics
->
->and less on:
->
->1. Exploitation of free software
->2. Trademark violations of third parties
->3. GPL enforcement

Thanks for the suggestions. All the issues are relevant to us.  Yes, We
certainly do not want to work for the third parties.  However it is
important for those who want to make a living out of linux to know that it
is a different ball game.  Free/open source software does have a licensing
policy, and as people working to promote such software, we are equally
concerned of 1 and 3 in your second priority list.  I don't agree that that
should be the last in priority.

You have also made other comments, which are indeed debatable.  We may take
them up some other time, I am exuasted, had a very long day.

Nagarjuna