Re: IL0VEY0U worm

--- Begin Message ---
A quick update with some more information and quick fixes. I am reproducing
my original message in full bellow as some people are filtering messages
with a subject line of ILOVEYOU.

There is a good description of how to disinfect a system manually at
http://www.thepope.org/index.pl?node_id=140

skyinet.net seems to be off the net. It seems they are being blackholed
by someone.

The worm has a comment that may or may not indicate the author:

  rem barok -loveletter(vbe) <i hate go to school>
  rem by: spyder / ispyder@xxxxxxxx / @GRAMMERSoft Group / Manila,Philippines

I did not make it clear, but the worm does infect files in mapped
network drives, so it can spread across the network via file shares
by infecting the files I reported. When someone opens those files
the worm will execute and infect their system.

It seems the WIN-BUGFIX.exe file will email any cached passwords to
MAILME@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To stop the spread download updates for your antivirus product
for your vendor. They all have some type of fix by now, but most
antivirus vendor websites seems to be unavailable under the
high load. Some I could reach:

NAI: http://download.mcafee.com/extrafiles/love-4.zip
Datafellows: http://www.datafellows.com/download-purchase/updates.html
TrendMicro: http://www.antivirus.com/download/pattern.asp
Sophos: http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/index.html#loveleta

You should also not open visual basic attachments in email (.VBS),
not accept DCC's on IRC from strangers (or friends for that matter)
unless you known what you are receiving.

If you control your mail server you should try to configure it to
stop messages with attachments ending in .vbs. There seems to be
some patches to sendmail from when Melissa came out that does this.
You may also want to filter all email going out to MAILME@xxxxxxxxxxxx
and stop the download of WIN-BUGFIX.exe in your HTTP proxy.

* Elias Levy (aleph1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [000504 17:02]:

--
Elias Levy
SecurityFocus.com