Re: cdrom mount problem !

***Moving To LIH***

Hi,

This is more suitable for LIH (linux-india-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
as techinal queries are resolved on that list. So I am shifting it
there. Follow-ups there please.

I have come across this problem in two cases:
1. Old/Dirty CD-ROM drive.
2. Iffy CDs like Chinese Pirate CDs (Yes... I know I'm going to hell
because I used pirate software, no need to rub it in), Gold CDs written
on CD-writers that are known to give unpredictable results.

I'd vote for 1 because if I am not mistaken "Konark" has been in NCST
for donkey's years.

Can anybody throw some light on what's actually happening? Is my
cause/effect assumption correct?

Kedar? Nikhil? Rohit(If you've sobered up yet)?

Biju

--- "Vishwas." <96co242@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Friends,
> 	Sometimes(not always) when I mount my cdroms I get following
> messages........
>
> [root@konark /root]# mount /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom
> ATAPI device hdb:
>   Error: Unit attention -- (Sense key=0x06)
>   Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed --
> (asc=0x28,
> ascq=0x00)
>   The failed "Test Unit Ready" packet command was:
>   "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
> mount: block device /dev/hdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
> [root@konark /root]#
>
> and sometimes I gets mounted swiftly but when I do "ls" or "ls -l" I
> get

> and junk similar to this.
>
> My m/c configuration is
> Pentium I	on  RedHat 6.0  with a compiled kernel.
>

> Can anybody  comment in this regard ?

=====
Biju "Botsie" Chacko
"With men and sex when it's right, it's right and when it's wrong, it's right." - Fishism