Re: Free software, proprietary software and Stalin

    Atul> [snip]
    Atul> It is entirely possible that with the changes that take
    Atul> place on an almost everyday basis, both GPL and BSD are not
    Atul> 100% with it anymore, and need to adapt to address some
    Atul> market realities.

On the other hand, it is also possible that GPL /is/ 100% with it and
doesn't need to adapt.

    Atul> [snip]
    Atul> One thing I can guarantee you - if everyone in the GPL/BSD
    Atul> camps refuses to adapt, and continue to stick to absolutes,
    Atul> both are going to start offending enough people to make them
    Atul> non-feasible.

Nah, to misquote Marie Antoinette, ``Let the BSD'ers eat cake''.  I'm
not particularly bothered by the FUD, misrepresentations and
deliberate misunderstandings coming out of that camp... looks like an
MS all over again.

    Atul> If nothing else changes - at leats the people should have
    Atul> the courage to say "we agree to diagree". Discussions that
    Atul> end up in bloody noses on a mailing list are not going to
    Atul> change the end result.

Hey, I have no problems with people disagreeing with me (in fact, I
remember at least two people who survived a disagreement with me,
albeit crippled for life).  OTOH, it's a bit difficult to sit back and
swallow some of the <insert earlier adjectives here> without gagging
at least a little bit.  Maybe Arun should just prefix each message
subject with ``[TROLL]''?  *Grinning, ducking and running*

    Atul> I'd rather like to see people discussing a "best of" kind of
    Atul> solution - one that takes the best features of each, and
    Atul> helps the creation of a universally acceptable solution.

Have you considered the possibility that the GPL already has the
features that many people want?

    Atul> How about it? A theoretical "Linux India General Licence"?

Hmm, why don't you post one and then we'll have a month-long flamewar
on which features it should and shouldn't include? ;-)

Regards,

-- Raju