Re: [LIG] Linux is #2 two years ahead of schedule

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

> But Linux sales made $32 million as opposed to $1.7 Billion for NT.
> At this rate, RHAT and LNUX will be trading at < $10, if they don't
> show enough money on services. As I said, no one is going to make
> any money selling Linux.

Well, no one is *supposed* to be making money selling Linux, so there is
really nothing wrong with this picture. A figure of Linux-related service
earnings would have been a better indicator of performance.

BTW - when I say "*supposed* to", I am not referring to GPL or any other
license; I am referring to the fact that the economic model of Linux is
built around services, not OS sales.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91(80)3440397 Fax +91(80)3341137