Re: [LI] Re: DVD-ROM on Linux?

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 08:43:47PM +0518, Manoj Victor Mathew wrote:
> > Some things take a lot of work to produce and very little time and
> > cost to copy. Who is going to compensate for the time and skill
> > needed to produce those things ?
> >

> Everyone else in the community. Also your project is developed by you
> alone. Many in the community help. Even if you yourself did the entire
> coding yourself, you borrow ideas from others. If it is entirely your
> own idea, still you gain when others develop upon your work.

Is the stuff gained from the community going to pay for my food ?

> > > PS. Arun, would you like to have my personal .muttrc? It's free, free in
> > > the sense of freedom. I prefer to distribute my .muttrc for Rs 1000/-,
> > > but as a special offer, I can give it to you for Rs 0!!
> >
> > Your .muttrc doesn't have a market. If it did and if people were
> > willing to pay Rs 1000/- for it, by giving it to me for free, you
> > would have donated me Rs 1000/- and I would have probably sold it
> > to someone else for Rs 1000/- and bought some nice shoes.
> >

> I still have the Rs 1000/- with me. Also I am always free to sell your
> .pinerc for Rs 1000/- . Thus I too can buy nice shoes.

If there were 100 potential buyers for your .muttrc, it was worth
1000 * 100 = Rs 100,000. By giving it to me for free, you have reduced
its price to 0. You can't sell my .pinerc for Rs 1000, if I'm giving
it away for free. May be someone will pay you Rs 50 for burning a CD
or Rs 100 to help support the project of putting together nice .pinercs.
But you can't sell it for the price of a commercial product.

	-Arun