speech, beer, etc.

Arun Sharma wrote:

> Some things take a lot of work to produce and very little time and
> cost to copy. Who is going to compensate for the time and skill
> needed to produce those things ?

Probably the canonical essay on the "Economy of Ideas" on the net is by
John Perry Barlow, and is available here:

http://www.eff.org/pub/Publications/John_Perry_Barlow/HTML/idea_economy_article.html

However, I would probably tend to agree with Arun, and with the general
mindset eloquently represented by Eric Raymond: Open Source is to be
preferred as it tends to produce higher quality work in the end - in an
accelerated, but nevertheless evolutionary manner. There is no real need
to invoke highfalutin' principle in order to prefer it. Note that I have
no objections to those who do. It is just that there is no One Correct
Reason to go the Open Source (or Free Software, or whatever) way.

As the Perl mavens say, There's More Than One Way To Do It.

Udhay
 http://www.unimobile.com/                     http://pobox.com/~udhay
            Unimobile -  the world's first internet mobile
                               Now Live !