Re: [LI] Re: DVD-ROM on Linux?

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 09:34:25PM -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:
> In short, the benefits of open source software are significant and
> well understood, thanks to the press that Linux has been getting
> recently.

IMO, No, the press has /not/ highlighted the essence of the GNU
movement. The press has positioned GNU/Linux as a viable alternative to
WinNT and other OSes, but GNU/Linux has much more that what the press
says.

> But if companies want to write closed source enhancements to open
> source software either directly or indirectly, let them do it. It only
> benefits the average Linux user with more choice

Availability of closed source enhancements to free software might bring
immediate benefits to the average Linux user. But by /not/ allowing
closed source enhancements, the average Linux user will benefit much
more in the long run.

Free software enhancements will give much more choice than closed
source enhancements. But today, with closed source software
dominating, it may take more time for free software enhancements to
come out.

> to run open source software, which works well for certain classes of
> problems, where security, stability are important or pay and run
> commercial software, which works better for certain other classes
> of problems/situations.

There is no such rule that free software is good for only such and
such things, and pay-and-run is good for some other specific needs.
All software can be used for everything! There can be non-free
software with better security and stability than free-software
equivalents. Also there can be free software with better features (you
haven't mentioned non-free software features above ;-) ) than non-free
software equivalents.

India is a free country. I have freedom. I shall resist any force that
tries to take away my freedom. Similarly, if all software is free, then
I shall not go for non-free software even if it gives me more
features. Instead I shall try to make a free software equivalent.

VMWare is great. But it is non-free. I need a free software
equivalent. And I am planning to contribute to freemware if I can!

> To put it crudely, if Microsoft makes an ultra proprietary MS Linux,
> your freedom has not been compromised. You are just as free as you are
> today to run your distribution of choice.

MS Linux being proprietary, I will not be able to use their ideas.
If source code for MS Linux is not available, and if the software
community is not allowed to /use/ the source code, other software will
not be able to benefit from it. We will end up reinventing the wheel
many times. This 'ultra proprietary MS Linux', will take away my freedom
to benefit from the copy of MS Linux, I bought.

In a world where there is only free software, an 'ultra proprietary MS
Linux' must be seen as a freedom killer. And it will take away my
freedom, if everybody starts using this 'ultra proprietary MS Linux'.
Again, if everybody in India forget about the freedom of speech, we
have, then what good will my freedom be? I will be beaten up by
gangsters/police/neighbours/friends if I alone decide to exercise my
freedom of speech.

--
Do you support 'free software'?  Visit http://mvm.linuxbox.com

Manoj Victor Mathew  (GPG#: 3D96A9B9)