Re: on-going mud slinging match

Hi,

        I must disagree with your micharacterization of recent
 activity on this mailing list. Where you say mud slinging, I see
 impassioned debate by people who feel stronly about a subject, and
 who respect each other.

        Where did you see ad hominem attacks? Where did you see long
 lasting, hurtful labels people are supposedly flinging at each other?
 Where is the mud? I think that restring this list to a passionless,
 politically correct list where no one engages in a healthy debate is
 harmful to the community.

        I have far more heated discussions with my wife ;-)

        I would think that the people in the community can take a
 little debate. I think it actually helps the new comers to see that
 there can be differences of opinion, and dissent, in the community,
 and we can still respect each other. And each others views. Shielding
 people from the realities (indeed, the strengths) of fee software
 community does them a disservice.

        I think it helps the newcomers to see the various facets of a
 long time debate, and it allows them to make an informed decision.

        If you wish to contribute to the community, you should accept
 the fact, nay rejoice in the fact, that we can all be different, hold
 differing opinions, and can engage in the occasional debate with each
 other without coming to blows like children.

        If I may use a phrase that has been overtly (and humorously)
 used: I am dissapointed that Atul was swayed by your post, and has
 been dissuaded from enlightening the rest of us with his take on a
 central issue of the free software world.

        Lighten up, people. There is no flame war here. There is
 respectful dialog. We need such dialog, and the feeling of community
 that that engenders.

        I feel I know Atul better now than I did a few days ago -- He
 let down his hair and let us have a peek at his core beliefs.

        Dry and passionless (and, for this forum, pointless -- if you
 can't air your views in LIG, what good is this forum anyway?)
 discussion -- faugh.

        manoj
 Trying to learn who people are -- cause you can't have friends unless
 you know who they are

>>"Active" == Active Technologies <acctive@xxxxxxxx> writes:

 Sabir> This mail has reference to the recent mud-slinging match
 Sabir> [Message from RMS] currently on in the Linux India General
 Sabir> list. You supposedly senior and presumably well informed Linux
 Sabir> guys are definitely not sending out the right message to
 Sabir> newbies and somewhat-familiar-with-linuxers on this list.

 Sabir> I joined the general list so that I could contribute to the
 Sabir> community and I am sure most of us here would like to do the
 Sabir> same. However, I am deeply disturbed with the recent
 Sabir> posting. All the best ! and please don't bother to inform me
 Sabir> about who won the one-up-manship award. But, I would be
 Sabir> interested in knowing if and when the thread dies, so that we
 Sabir> can all go back to doing some constructive activity.

 Sabir> Sabir

--
 Last night the power went out.  Good thing my camera had a
 flash.... The neighbors thought it was lightning in my house, so they