Virtual Vs. real IP hosting.

There could be two reasons I can think of off-hand why you'd want to
have a site on its own IP:

1.  Allow HTTPS (SSL) connections.  SSL doesn't recognise software
virtual servers and needs its own IP for each server.

2.  Allow a virtual anonymous FTP server with a complete hierarchy.
FTP doesn't recognise software virtual servers either.

Apart from this there could be other minor reasons, like a POP3 server
which listens on its own IP, support for HTTP 1.0 clients, etc.

Regards,

-- Raju

--
Raju Mathur          raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://kandalaya.org/